Depression is one of the biggest medical mysteries of our time. One statistic states an estimated 9% of all American adults suffer from depression and another states there are 20 million Americans being affected every year with depression or related disease. These numbers are of epidemic proportion and the following facts are trepidatious.
1) There is not a physical or biological bio-marker to identify the presence of depression.
2) We know that the side-effects can be as deadly as suicide.
3) Withdrawals from the psychoactive drugs that can be as bad as the side-effects.
4) Pharmaceutical companies claim they do not know how an antidepressant actually works.
5) Adding even more confusion is the fact that the symptoms of depression are shared with other diseases and imbalances, and depression itself is a symptom for other conditions (e.g., low estrogen, low testosterone, low glucose, etc.).
Even with the facts stated above, one visit to the doctor could get you a prescription for antidepressants. These facts make a strong argument that there should be guidelines.
This sites intended use is for informational purposes only. This site is not intended for self-treatment of depression. If you or someone you know is depressed you should seek help from a health care professional.